A doctor says that after surgery, the first words of the civilian police officer whose quick actions stopped the gunman at Fort Hood were, "Did anybody die?" And a medic said that Sgt. Kimberly Munley, who suffered multiple gunshot wounds from Major Nidal Malik Hasan on Thursday, "was fading in and out of consciousness. She wasn't saying much," raising concerns she might not survive.

Right now, Munley is stable, she's reportedly "doing very well and "in good spirits." But ABC News reports that she was lucky: The 34-year-old mother of two "was shot twice in both legs during Thursday's confrontation. Two powerful 'cop killer' rounds allegedly fired by Hasan tore through her left thigh, exited and blasted through her right thigh as well. She was also struck in the wrist." And the NY Times described the confrontation:

Munley — a woman with a fierce love of hunting, surfing and other outdoor sports — bolted from her car, yanked her pistol out and shot at Major Hasan. He turned on her and began to fire. She ran toward him, continuing to fire, and both she and Major Hasan went down with several bullet wounds...Whether Sergeant Munley was solely responsible for taking down Major Hasan or whether he was also hit by gunfire from her partner is unclear, but she was the first to fire at him, the authorities said.

Fort Hood's director of emergency services said, "She’s absolutely a hero. She had the training; she knew what to do. And she had the courage to do it — by doing it she saved countless people’s lives."

Thirteen—twelve soldiers and one civlian—were killed and 38 others were injured. The investigation is continuing and officials have declined to say whether Hasan acted alone or if there were additional accomplices. (A colonel at the base said that it didn't appear that anyone was hit by friendly fire.)

Hasan, who was shot four times and is now in a coma, was scheduled to be deploy to Afghanistan and had been giving away his possessions and making "methodological goodbyes." The AP reports, "The 39-year-old Army psychiatrist emerged as a study in contradictions: a polite man who stewed with discontent, a counselor who needed to be counseled himself, a professional healer now suspected of cutting down the fellow soldiers he was sworn to help." A cousin said that Hasan, a Muslim, had become more devout after his mother's death nine years ago.

The same cousin told CNN that Hasan wanted to leave the army because he was disrespected over his religion, "There was racism towards him because he's a Muslim, because he's an Arab, because he prays. They used to see him dress in traditional Muslim clothing, so he was a bit irritated because of this. Also, the fact that they wanted to send him to Iraq. He decided to leave the Army for good and hire a lawyer because of this matter."