At a pres conference with the mayor today, MTA chairman Jay Walder talked about stuck buses and missing chains for a bit. "We have multiple types of buses, chains are put on articulated buses—they have the most probability of being stuck. We typically have not had difficulties with stuck buses with the types of buses we have today. The hybrid buses we use are typically able to get through the snow but for whatever reason this snow they didn't get through. I'm not a snow expert to tell you why." Which is how we got images like these.
But never fear, the MTA is going to do a full postmortem when this is all done and they'll get to the bottom of why those buses wouldn't run (maybe they shouldn't have kept sending buses down routes where others were still stalled out?). "We do need to look back," Walder said. "I'm not minimizing the fact that we have had a large number of stuck buses and we do need to look back."
And there is more good news! Some, though certainly not all, bus services have resumed. You can get detailed and sort-of-up-to-the-minute info on mta.info, but we've got the gist of it for you here:
All express buses are running with "system wide delays" and there are no limited stop buses running.
There is currently no service on the B1, B2, B4, B6, B9, B11, B13, B31, B35, B36, B44, B49, B61, B64, B67, B68, B69, B70 and B74. All other buses are running with delays and all limited buses are making local stops.
Bronx Express buses:
Manhattan-bound Bx19 bus service will terminate at Fredrick Douglas Blvd and 145th Street. Bx12 select bus service will be making local stops. All other buses are running with delays and all limited buses are making local stops.
M4 bus service has resumed service into the Cloisters. M9 bus service downtown is detoured to 14th Street. M11 bus service is not entering Riverbank Park. M50 bus service is running on 57th Street between 5th Avenue and 11th Avenue in both directions. All other buses are running with delays and all limited buses are making local stops.
There are a whole lot of buses being detoured still. As follows:
• Q60 bus will terminate Archer Avenue and Sutphin Boulevard.
• Q7, Q21 and Q41 buses will terminate at Cross bay Boulevard and Pitkin Avenue.
• Q40 bus will terminate at Rockaway Boulevard.
• 166th Street-bound Q15 bus from Roosevelt Avenue. left turn on Union Street, right turn on Northern Boulevard, left turn on 150th Street, then regular route.
• Main Street-bound Q15 bus from 150th Street, right turn on Northern Boulevard, left turn on Union Street, right turn on Roosevelt Avenue.
• LGA-bound Q48 bus from Roosevelt Avenue,right turn on 126th Street, left turn on Northern Boulevard, right turn on 108th Street, then regular route.
• Main Street-bound Q48 bus - from 108th Street, left turn on Northern Boulevard, right turn on 126th Street, left turn onto Roosevelt Avenue, then regular route.
• Queens Plaza-bound Q67 bus regular route to Borden Avenue, right onto Vandam Street, left turn onto Hunters Point Avenue, then regular route.
• Metropolitan Avenue-bound Q67 bus continue on Hunters Point Avenue, right onto Vandam Street, left onto Borden Avenue, then regular route.
• 60th Lane and Cooper Avenue-bound Q39 bus from Jackson Ave at Queens Boulevard, left turn at Thompson Ave to Queens Boulevard, right at 58th Street, then regular route.
• Queens Plaza-bound Q39 bus to 58th Street and Queens Boulevard, left onto Thompson Avenue, left at Jackson Avenue to 21st Street, right on 21st St to Queens Plaza South, right onto Queens Plaza, then regular route.
• Westbound Q36 bus run on Jamaica Avenue, right on Springfield Boulevard, left on Hillside, then regular route.
• Eastbound Q83 bus will terminate at Springfield Boulevard.
• Both directions, there is no Q72 bus service from Rego Park to LaGuardia Airport.
• Northbound Q65 bus service last stop on College Point Boulevard at 28th Avenue.
• College Point-bound Q25 bus from 130th Street, right onto 20th Avenue.
• Southbound Q23 bus service will continue straight on Ditmars Boulevard to a right on 108th Street, right on Astoria Boulevard then regular route.
• QM15 and QM16 will terminate at Cross Bay Boulevard.
All other buses are running with delays and all limited buses are making local stops.
In Staten Island:
There is currently no service on the following bus routes: S42, S52, S54, S57 and S89. There is also no X31 bus service at this time. All other buses are running with delays and all limited buses are making local stops.